Sunday 29 April 2012

Harmony

I love to sing in harmony!  I think I got so used to singing alto in high school, my ear automatically picks up a harmony when I'm listening to a song.  It's so much fun to sing with someone or several people and intertwine voices with them.  Recently, I've been working on a project with three other ladies (Shelly Bhushan, Theresa Hoffman of Little Embers and Michele Riganese) and it's all about the harmony.  It was a simple suggestion one night while we were all at Rockwood.  One of us said "Hey, we should all sing together sometime!  Another said "Hey, we should do a show where we each take turns singing one of our songs, and the other three girls do back-up!"  Next thing you know, we've booked a show at Spike Hill in Brooklyn to try this thing out.  By the end of the show, our good friend Gus Rodriguez had us booked for our second show, which was at the Living Room. 

Now, we've taken on a residency at LIC bar for May.  This means five Wednesdays in May we'll be performing.  This means lots of rehearsal, lot's of new music to learn and lots of harmony!  I've been working on the harmonica for these shows too.  Something I've been dying to try.  My challenge for this month of shows is going to be: 1. Getting some new songs out there, 2. Stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new instruments (Harmonica, Piano, Electric Guitar?).  I'm feeling up for it, feeling ambitious, excited, and a little nervous!  Here's a song that will be coming up at the residency by three amazing singers who teamed up for an album, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt ...

Those Memories

For more info about this residency and a little interview with all us girls, click the link below.
 Queens of Queens Review


For the official Facebook Invite, click the link below.
Facebook Invite

Do you have any favorite songs that feature lot's of harmony?  Any suggestions for songs we should try?

No comments:

Post a Comment