Friday 13 April 2012

The story song

This is my favorite type of song. It brings you into another world, takes you on a journey. I was reminded of two great story songs recently. The first "Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez. When I hear this song, I stop what I'm doing and listen, chills up and down my arm. I feel what she felt. The song is rumored to be about Bob Dylan though she denied this at first and later admitted it. Watch a live version of Joan singing the song. Magical!

http://youtu.be/GGMHSbcd_qI

Another song I was recently introduced to is called "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda". It was performed by folk legend Liam Clancy. It's an anti war song that tells the story of a young man sent off to war. He eventually returns from the war, after having lost both his legs. He watches the parade every year where the war vets march and he wonders what it was all for. Will anyone remember them after they've gone? Granted, heavy topic matter but quite a story to be told within the confines of a song.

I have a few story songs out there and am working on some exciting new ones. What are your favorite story songs? Any stories that should be made into a song?

No comments:

Post a Comment